10-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #7
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Went down to Fl for the Dolphins v Steelers game & decided to rent a AMG GT for the trip because why not?

I'll likely sell my C8Z, after finally sitting in a 3LT C8, if GM ever gets around to actually letting us buy one. I'm just not impressed at all. So I'm trying to narrow things down. I have been set on a V10 R8 for a while, but want to check out my other options as well.

GM still has the leather peeling on the dash issue (Been a problem since the C6). They seriously can't get that right by now?!

I know the C8 is a $60k car so it's not going to be new R8 or Bentley level of interior quality, but still. Oof IMO.

My lady also disliked the wall of buttons design...a lot.

Anyway, onto the AMG GT...

Definitely fun to drive & clearly has power. Not too bad out of the hole either. A lot better than my Hellcat LOL.

Loved all the carbon fiber inside. Loved the power adjustable bolsters on the seat. Something I have missed since I sold my 335xi long ago.

Fun to drive, handles well, etc. Definitely needs an aftermarket exhaust as stock is too tame for me. The seat bottom was very uncomfortable, though. My butt started to hurt after just a few minutes. I'm wondering if the seats in this one were some sort of special option competition seats & the base seats have more cushion?

I also could not find a spot to comfortably rest my right arm & hand. Ended up either on my leg or hand hanging into the open cup holder. Very much shutting off at lights & stuff. I drove in Sport+ most of the time so a non-factor for my short time, though. Also dislike no remote start.

Not sure if just because this was a Turo rental or not, but the trunk took A LOT of force to close right. Using the paddle shifters, the shifts were quick & smooth.

Overall, I don't think I would buy one if that is indeed the only seat option. If there are different seats, still no at the around $90k they are now because of upside down world, but when they get back to around $60k I think this car is a good buy.

Plan is to find a 911 Turbo & V10 R18, and I am sure other cars, around home & see what I like/dislike.
Thanks for the report. What were the Turo+owner fees as a percentage of the entire bill? I see reasonable listed rental rates on Turo but you have to click through the whole process and provide a photo before the fees are listed.

Agree with your report. I would also add that MB reliability is far worse than many realize. The 4.0L TT V8 in that car is developing a reputation for rear main oil seal leak at less than 100k miles, so it would be out of consideration for me on that basis alone. It's a pity. I do like MB exterior styling but the poor reliability is too bitter a pill to swallow.

At that price range for a sports car I would go with the newest/lowest mileage 911 or 718 with a clean title and in reasonable condition.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7842.50
Donatello.1105.50