F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1 2024: Italian GP - Imola (May 19)
GetBMWParts

Today, 06:54 AM   #353
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillip View Post
He won the Imola GP but not without a bit of scare at the end from Lando. That was a great late surge by the McLaren driver.
True, but he was driving probably only the 3rd fastest car this weekend.
Appreciate 3
GuidoK11081.50
M5Rick61564.00
      Today, 07:20 AM   #354
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
Lando handicapped himself by having 2 lap older tires.

if he had a better 1st stint and came in at least 2 laps later his tires will be the same age as Max and then we should have a better understanding of which driver/car is better.

but maybe i don't know the whole story, didn't watch the race
That was precisely the problem, Nor had awful tire deg on the M tire and Max had good tire deg but once they went to the H tire Max had awful tire deg and Nor had good tire deg. I think the last laps told us the story - Max's car still had a bad setup, tires gone, and Nor not only had the faster car but was much better on those hard tires (depite being 2 laps older).
I say this all the time but Max is the shortest corner driver on the grid whereas Nor is a very geometrical apex driver and the former will always be quicker because you end up actually driving less distance per lap.
Appreciate 3
GuidoK11081.50
M5Rick61564.00
      Today, 09:25 AM   #355
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
At least MAX can have a good sleep now just like me
Lando Norris overtakes MAX for the lead ! =>https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank...appen_for_the/

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11081.50
M5Rick61564.00
      Today, 11:33 AM   #356
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sort of a boring race until the last five laps, really nice to see a hair of competition at the top for a change.

These last few races have me wondering, is Perez really that bad or is Max just that damned good? Week after week Perez gets blown away by seemingly inferior cars, yet Max keeps on winning. The gap between the two is just so massive, is the RB car really that great or it mostly Max?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:19 PM   #357
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Lando Norris overtakes MAX for the lead ! =>https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank...appen_for_the/
too much back draft from MAX cooked his tires aww never mind Lando
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11081.50
      Today, 12:56 PM   #358
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

...Ron Mexico there said that they could have raced for 100 more laps and he wouldn't have overtaken him
Appreciate 2
GuidoK11081.50
      Today, 01:39 PM   #359
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
These last few races have me wondering, is Perez really that bad or is Max just that damned good? Week after week Perez gets blown away by seemingly inferior cars, yet Max keeps on winning. The gap between the two is just so massive, is the RB car really that great or it mostly Max?
It's different. It's about the personal driving style and car set-ups. Each driver has his own driving style. In a perfect world a driver and his team manage to spec and fine-tune a car in a way that perfectly suits the driver's personal driving style, allowing on track to squeeze the best out of the available package. Also, track layout, weather conditions, etc. so many parameters.

A couple of months ago, Verstappen's former team mate Alex Albon basically explained that it's hard to keep up with Verstappen's evolution during a season - he operates on a different level with increasingly fine-tuned set-ups.
"The first thing is, a lot of people say that car is built around him [Max Verstappen], he’s kind of like the Michael Schumacher of Ferrari, he’s created this team around him. Truthfully, the car is what it is, he is very quick, so what ends up happening is… He has quite a unique driving style, it’s not that easy to get along with.
Everyone has a driving style, I would say my driving style [Alex Albon] is a bit more on the smooth side, but I like a car that has a good front-end, so quite sharp, quite direct. Max does too, but his level of sharp and direct is a whole different level – it’s eye-wateringly sharp.
To give people kind of maybe an explanation of what that might feel like, if you bump up the sensitivity [on a computer game] completely to the max and you move that mouse and it’s just darting across the screen everywhere, that’s kind of how it feels. It becomes so sharp that it makes you a little bit tense.
What ended up happening was, especially during my year, you start off being a little bit behind, but not by much, and then as the season goes on, Max wants this front-end in the car, he wants his car to be sharper, sharper. As it goes sharper and sharper, he goes quicker and quicker, and for you to catch up you have to start taking a little bit more risk. You might be a couple of tenths behind one session, just try a little bit more, ‘OK, I’ve gone off, I’ve had a crash’, and you’ve got to restart. Then you’ve lost a little bit of confidence, it takes a little bit more time, that gap is growing a little bit, and the next time you try and go out and do another job, [it’s] another spin or another whatever – it just starts to snowball. Every time the car becomes sharper and sharper, you start to become more tense.
It’s like any sport, if you start to not be in that flow state, and you’re having to really think about it, and every time you go into a corner, you don’t know how it’s going to react, you don’t have that kind of… It’s purely the confidence in the car, the flow. It doesn’t work, it never works."