F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 timing corrections MHD
proTUNING Freaks

05-06-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
IlCh
Registered
Rep
Drives: F33 '14

N55 timing corrections MHD

Hey,

Kinda new to this forum so I hope I'm in the right thread.

I have a F33 '14. VRSF DP + VRSF Charge pipe.

I`ve been reading through several forums and I am quite confused about what is safe for the engine, gearbox and etc.

Recently tried to do a log with an MHD st2+ 98 RON map.

https://datazap.me/u/ilch/n55-st2?lo...35-36-37-38-39

I saw that timing corrections on cyl. 4 reached 5s.

Would also be happy if you can give me advice on what parameters to log and which to remove.

Another topic which I am confused about is torque. Is there an engine torque and gearbox torque difference?

If there is which torque is the one measured in the attached log and should I be worried about "clutch slip" with the current tune.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 07:06 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Read my thread for general datalogging guidance: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

With respect to your log, the boost control looks quite good. The timing is decent. In general, consistently high corrections on ONE cylinders implies a potential issue with that cyl (plug, coil, etc). You would need say, 3 independent logs to infer such a trend. Misc. corrections across different cylinders that recover is mostly unavoidable, and is generally just due to fuel quality. You can drop to lower octane map in that case.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 10:47 AM   #3
IlCh
Registered
Rep
Drives: F33 '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Read my thread for general datalogging guidance: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

With respect to your log, the boost control looks quite good. The timing is decent. In general, consistently high corrections on ONE cylinders implies a potential issue with that cyl (plug, coil, etc). You would need say, 3 independent logs to infer such a trend. Misc. corrections across different cylinders that recover is mostly unavoidable, and is generally just due to fuel quality. You can drop to lower octane map in that case.
Hey, i stumbled upon it of course after posting. Thanks for taking the time to create it.

In the meantime I saw that IATs climbed quite rapidly and probably without a bigger intercooler Stage2+ is a bit aggressive.

Tried to map stage 2 with 95 RON while using 100 RON fuel. The log was not so good since i got the DSC interfere on Sport+ and the environment made me release the throttle before the rev limiter in 4th gear, but up to 7kish rpm I didnt see any timing corrections and the car still feels fast, probably need more time to notice the real difference between the stages.

https://datazap.me/u/ilch/n55-mhd-st...?log=0&data=17
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:34 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlCh View Post
Hey, i stumbled upon it of course after posting. Thanks for taking the time to create it.

In the meantime I saw that IATs climbed quite rapidly and probably without a bigger intercooler Stage2+ is a bit aggressive.

Tried to map stage 2 with 95 RON while using 100 RON fuel. The log was not so good since i got the DSC interfere on Sport+ and the environment made me release the throttle before the rev limiter in 4th gear, but up to 7kish rpm I didnt see any timing corrections and the car still feels fast, probably need more time to notice the real difference between the stages.

https://datazap.me/u/ilch/n55-mhd-st...?log=0&data=17
Definitely no stage 2+ without an IC... I personally recommend it for stage 1, the stock IC is very undersized as you can see. Even WOT for like 5 seconds in a single gear and IATs skyrocket, which will only make timing worse.

There is actually only a small difference between 2 and 2+. And you probably gained more power by having better timing than you lost with the ~1-2 psi of boost lower on stage 2.

So, i would upgrade the IC then log again, and if needed run a lower RON map than the fuel you are using. Its not uncommon to do so.
Appreciate 0