F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PCV and Catch Can issues
ARMA SPEED

05-09-2024, 01:18 PM   #1
shrikezulu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

PCV and Catch Can issues

Hey everyone,

I figured I would ask here. I have a Ross Racing PCV delete and catch can and had some issues after installing them. This is no way a jab at Ross, since the kit is excellent quality. Anyhow, after install, I would occasionally get white puffs of oil (I think) from the exhaust. Did some reading and saw this was expected and that it would eventually go away. It never did, and in fact got worse.

It seemed to mostly happen when building a little boost in lower gears, second and third. It would occasionally happen on a downshift as well.

Eventually, it started happening at idle on occasion. Was never able to capture pics or video since it never happened when I was outside of the car.

Bought a new PCV cap from Bimmer Network just in case. Checked the fitment and it was solidly on. Disconnected the catch can and made it a VTA system only. Still happened. Swapped it out with the new PCV cap, and the issue disappeared. Reached out to Ross and he said "I have seen some instance where some cars do act weird without vacuum in the crankcase."

Any ideas? Also, I intend to add a Pure800 in the next year or so. Would running stock PCV be an issue with this?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0