F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain error
proTUNING Freaks

05-08-2024, 09:35 AM   #1
Walrad
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d F30

Drivetrain error

Hi guys,

I need some advice regarding the drivetrain error.

When I started the car about 1 week ago, I got a drivetrain error while the car was parked. I turned the engine off and restarted and then the error message was gone. I didn't hear anything unusual from the engine and looked at the engine for any unusual signs. But found nothing. The next day I scanned the car with ista, there were 3 error messages, all related to EGR.

Two of the error messages have existed since I replaced the EGR not too long ago (255b00,272e00 and 272f00). A bit unsure which of the error messages is new.

I have left the car parked since then but have driven a maximum of 4-5 km with it when I had to change the tyres. The car hesitates a bit when I accelerate.

So what I'm wondering is can I safely assume that the drivetrain error message is related to the egr? Since no other error messages were related to the engine or transmission. Is it safe to drive until I disable the EGR from the ecu and install the downpipe? Don't want any more problems with egr.

The car is stage 1 tuned as well as the transmission.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 06:47 PM   #2
ChinaBob
Rep
Drives: 2017 328d xdrive sport wagon

I have gotten the Drivetrain Error message several times. It's always been at very low speeds, such as when parking, other then that, it's not consistent. Took it to the dealer who spent hours, and a couple of hundred of my dollars, looking for the cause and could find nothing wrong. It's been quite a while now, and tens of thousands of miles, since I last saw it so I just consider it a fluke that comes with age (both mine and the car's.)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 02:29 AM   #3
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

My guess would be the EGR Valve. That can also cause the Rich/Lean codes so they tally up. There are videos and forum posts i've seen where people have tried to clean it and free the motor up; but invariably they seem to fail again.

In the UK most diesels had theirs replaced over the last few years, its worth checking to see if yours has been recalled in Norway before buying a new part.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:08 AM   #4
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
My guess would be the EGR Valve. That can also cause the Rich/Lean codes so they tally up. There are videos and forum posts i've seen where people have tried to clean it and free the motor up; but invariably they seem to fail again.

In the UK most diesels had theirs replaced over the last few years, its worth checking to see if yours has been recalled in Norway before buying a new part.
I also hope it's EGR. Although the EGR is around 6 months old. I have watched many of those videos when I first had problems with the EGR. But it should not be necessary to clean as it is so new. But hopefully I'll be done with the EGR problems once I've removed it from the ECU. Also considering removing it physically, when I see that there are problems with it so often.

I have taken it to bmw, they checked the EGR and the EGR cooler, there were no leaks. But they mentioned that the EGR needed to be replaced. Something I did.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 03:09 AM   #5
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaBob View Post
I have gotten the Drivetrain Error message several times. It's always been at very low speeds, such as when parking, other then that, it's not consistent. Took it to the dealer who spent hours, and a couple of hundred of my dollars, looking for the cause and could find nothing wrong. It's been quite a while now, and tens of thousands of miles, since I last saw it so I just consider it a fluke that comes with age (both mine and the car's.)
Let's hope so 😂
Appreciate 0